Creating Mix & Match Wintertime Vinaigrettes
By stocking a few ingredients in your pantry, you can create an endless array of quick, fresh and healthy vinaigrettes to dress an entree salad, a side salad, roasted vegetables or chicken - even in the dead of winter. A good rule of thumb to stick with: one part acid to three parts oil, salt and pepper to taste. While oil and acid are all you need, adding ingredients such as mustard, honey, agave, garlic and chopped shallots will give your recipe flavor depth and aid in emulsification.
- grapeseed oil- grapeseed oil is the perfect dressing base because it has a neutral flavor and is capable of adapting to a variety of flavor profiles. Many restaurant chefs tout the versatility of grapeseed oil in creating a wide variety of vinaigrettes.
- extra virgin avocado oil- EVAO, with its distinct avocado flavor, is absolutely delicious when mixed with a variety of acids including lime juice and champagne vinegar.
- balsamic vinegar
- champagne vinegar
- red wine vinegar
- citrus vinegar
- apple cider vinegar
- fresh squeezed citrus juice- lime, lemon, meyer lemon, orange or tangerine. Most citrus is readily available in the winter, but if not, try using a good quality refrigerated orange juice.
- agave nectar
- simple syrup
- mirin syup
- grainy mustard
- honey mustard or yellow mustard
- minced garlic
- chopped red onion
- chopped shallots
- freshly grated ginger root
- soy sauce (low sodium)
- spices, such as turmeric
- prepared or homemade pesto
- fresh chopped herbs
- plain greek yogurt
We particularly love this simple extra virgin avocado oil vinaigrette recipe. Try it on top of a dinner salad with cooked shrimp, chopped romaine, cilantro, cherry tomatoes & sliced avocado or on a hearty side salad with spinach, cherry tomatoes & thinly sliced soft boiled eggs. For a last minute weeknight salad, simply drizzle on of top of a sliced tomato or a bed of arugula.
- 4 tablespoon of CalPure® California Extra Virgin Avocado Oil
- 2-3 small limes, squeezed
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- sea salt & red pepper to taste
Whisk ingredients together in a large measuring cup immediately before serving. Enjoy!