Creamy Vegan Butternut Squash Soup with Sweet Potatoes and Red Bell Peppers by Debbie Woodruff
Food and fitness blogger Coach Debbie used CalPure™ California Extra Virgin Avocado Oil to create the most delicious, hearty Creamy (vegan!) Butternut Squash Soup with sweet potatoes red bell peppers.
We've included her recipe below. For a tutorial, check out her blog
- 2 tablespoons CalPure™ Extra Virgin Avocado Oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small red pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 2 cups butternut squash, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup sweet potato, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3 cups water
- 1 15 oz. can white beans (cannellini, great northern, or other) drained and rinsed.
- ½ cup cashew milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- crushed red pepper (optional)
- Heat the extra virgin avocado oil over medium heat.
- Cook the onion and red pepper until the onion is soft (about 4 minutes)
- Add the garlic, ginger, squash, and sweet potato, and cook until fragrant, about 8 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the water and bring to a boil.
- Add the beans and return to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until the squash and sweet potatoes are tender.
- Remove from the heat.
- If you use a blender:
- Blend the soup in two batches. Using a slotted spoon, spoon the squash and sweet potato into the blender. Pour ¼ cup of the cashew milk and about ½ cup of the broth into the blender (be careful, it is hot).
- Keep the center piece of the lid off and cover with a dish towel. Blend until smooth, adding more broth if necessary for a creamy texture.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour into a saucepan and blend the other half of the soup.
- Add to the saucepan and reheat to a low boil.
- Garnish with parsley and crushed red pepper if desired.
- If using an immersion blender:
- Spoon the sweet potato/squash mixture into another pan using a slotted spoon. Add the cashew milk, 1 cup of broth, and salt and pepper to taste. Blend until smooth and creamy, adding more broth if necessary.
- Serve as above.