This delicious traditional Armenian flatbread recipe is courtesy of writer & baker Jessie at Cakespy.com. Try pairing it with chicken curry or a greek salad. It is also makes a delicious snack when dipped in hummus. To see her full photo tutorial, please visit her blog.
Makes about 20 pieces
- 120 grams (1 cup) all purpose flour
- 1 grams (1/4 teaspoon) active dry yeast
- 8 grams (2 teaspoons) sugar
- 8 grams (2 teaspoons) salt
- 72 grams warm water (about ⅓ cup)
- 8 grams (2 teaspoons) CalPure® California Extra Virgin Avocado Oil, plus more for brushing bread
- Seeds or spices, to top
- Salt to taste
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, yeast, salt and sugar. Add in warm water and oil to mix until all incorporated.
- Knead dough until smooth consistency, maybe adding water if it's too dry. Place in an oiled bowl, cover with a damp towel, and let rise for 1 hour.
- Knock dough down and let rise again for 3 more hours.
- Remove dough from container onto floured work surface. Roll out to about 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick (thinner if you want it more cracker-like).
- Cut dough sheets into random size pieces about 5-9 inches (about twice the size of tortilla chips). Brush one side with more extra virgin avocado oil.
- Heat up a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Toast, oil side down, for 1 minute or until golden brown. While first side is down, brush oil on the back side and sprinkle the spices on top, if using.
- Flip and toast on the second side, noting that it will take less time than the first side. Once done, transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Continue with the remaining portions of dough. tore these, loosely wrapped, at room temperature for up to 3 days.